Pages

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

New Beginnings

It's happening Now!
In December 2010 I decided that instead of making New Year’s resolutions, I would make promises to myself and the basis of each promise would be toward being happier, healthier and far more interesting. That would eliminate the woulds, coulds, shoulds, and oughts and leave me with ideas, activities, goals and choices that actually fulfilled what I believe to be my mission in life. 

Who knew I would be here today? I had planned to leave my job for varied reasons, but had set the date past the holidays for financial ones. The longer I stayed employed the more earned time off and holiday pay I would receive. The moment came when I realized that I was effectively scarifying my peace of mind for a few dollars. So I moved the date closer. As the number of unpleasant events occurred in repetition I realized I would be leaving even sooner than my ideal. The date crept so close I needed an immediate plan and began a 100 day countdown

I have reached zero and moved beyond. Here I am at the end of another year with myriad events to reflect upon. Having already freaked out it’s time to live in the shift. Returning home today I thought, “I am going to OCCUPY MY HOME!” It was a loud thought. My home is more than just the place I come and go from. My life is more than serving for the profit of others. This time outside of public work gives me the freedom to serve my neighborhood and community. To bridge the gaps that keep us separated as human beings, especially as I was working nights and spending all the rest of my time struggling around sleep. Oh yes, there is cleaning and repairs and writing, of course. But as winter shuts us inside easily, I will purposely step outside my door and look the world in its cold blustery eye recognizing that I have the freedom to stand tall and breathe clearly.

This is not bucket list or last wishes. We are not promised tomorrow or even five minutes from now. Live like you are dying. Step up and into the moment.

What are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm still sorting things out. Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts.