Pages

Monday, June 11, 2012

Interesting Situations

By now you know the opening line. "I quit my job. " I chose that statement because while I was employed I searched for information on living well outside of the status quo, and specifically, details and stories from people over forty. That young people quit, change, leave, or abandon jobs has little interest to me. This isn't to say they don't have great stories, ideas, tips or adventures. However, they are also generally free of children, mortgages, retirement plans/obligations, and the varied and many encumbrances that accumulate with age.

Honestly, to quit one's job, repeatedly, no matter the "financial climate," takes its own mindset. That's me. I've been leaving jobs since I accepted the first one. That will make me and my story different from those who have committed to a company for over five years. Still, I am over fifty and I choose to leave the last situation because I had had enough.

Today's note is about job search some more. I am just off the phone with an inquiry from a prospective employer. They called to make sure I was applying for a staff position rather than the supervisory slot. It seems I was recommended by the director of the agency for the supervisor position. Small world. We worked together many years ago. We were best friends (to me) and she helped paint my house, tend my children, and make my work my love.

The supervisor is on call 24/7 and expected to be in the office 8 am - 5 pm. Yes, there is vacation since it is a benefited position, but squeezing it in is a challenge. Oh, and "if you really need to be off we can find someone to cover for a doctor's appointment, etc." As the description went on, I knew there was no way I was getting roped into that situation. I know people who live for their jobs. I am not one of them and I am not impressed. I am happy to do what I love, but I love lots of situations and prefer balance in my life. I passed and asked to be considered for the staff role.

Life is good. I apply for two or three jobs most days of the week. I complete applications, assessments, questionnaires, and inventories. Not only do I learn about the companies, I learn about me. I am unavailable for long hours. I do believe employers ask too much of their employees. I think I work harder than most of my coworkers. I show up a little early for appointments. I expect to take my breaks and lunch. Can I sell people stuff they don't need? Sure! Will I? Probably not. Working on commission might leave me hungry.

I make notes from those survey tools. One has to wonder how those responses are weighted. I've been thinking about desired outcomes. I still enjoy being at home. Everyday I roll over and easily rise from sleep at whatever time, I am blessed again. There is so much more to my story and how I find a great ease in this life.

"I have a house, a car and my student loans are paid off. I should be able to sleep." (From Everybody Loves Raymond) I have plenty of food. I am healthy. I even still have a couple fingers of my favorite liquors. It rained. Tomorrow I will set out more plants and pray for a bountiful harvest.

I am open an employment situation that is mutually beneficial to all concerned. Let us affirm together:
So say we all!
So say we all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm still sorting things out. Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts.