Pages

Friday, June 1, 2012

Assessing The Situation

Yesterday was my last shift at the call center - my part-time situation for the month of May. The last two shifts proved to be wonderful. The numbers were low so we had time to talk and share during the downtime. I met and got to know a lot of new people and because I was returning to this job (from seven years ago) I discovered new elements about people I once worked with only as acquaintances.

This is part-time work that can be boosted to forty hours when there are new (health) studies and plenty of numbers. Otherwise, people work as much as they can or want, then outside of work they garden, cook, read, care for aging parents, or volunteer in their communities. Some people are part-time temps while others are permanent. There are lots of young people (as in college students) and other folks close to retirement age (self named and at age 62).

Most interesting was a young woman who at thirty-one has traveled the country, changing jobs and locales. She has worked as a flight attendant, prison guard, and nurse's aide. She will be moving when she is accepted at her next situation. I hold out that the company she interviewed with will recognize her as an enthusiastic asset to their company. Her sister was a phone sex worker. That discussion perked up a few ears. I asked her how she learned to live so freely. Her response was that she spent time with lots of different people. Older people especially were eager to share their stories. She paid attention and selected the ideas that supported her happiness. She understands that we are each responsible for how we move through life and that happiness is an inside job.

Working part-time, I earned enough to carry me through the month of June. I walked to work three days a week. I picked up some freelance office work on my off days and that covered a few luxuries I had given up. I worked in my garden, cleaned around my home, even made that drive up north - twice. I spent time visiting with my friends and reorganized my grand-daughter's play area.

I imagine a full-time situation in the month of June. I hold the intention to show up authentically myself - creative, loving, strong, supportive, and free. Sometimes working full-time drains the memory of who we are away. This time I am holding on.

Imagine with me.

Namaste


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm still sorting things out. Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts.